Monday, November 2, 2009

I've just added a lot to my already massive blogroll (down the side there) - but there is so much amazing writing/writing about writing/post-writing (I'm not sure what else to call it - vispo and the like) out there. Check out, especially, The New Post-literate, mIEKAL aND's work here, Reed Altemus and Ross Priddle. (New Links came from here - there are more).

Two other online poets who I have been following for some time, and whose work is amazing, are John M Bennett and Lanny Quarles (Lanny has another blog here).

I also just ordered a copy of the Late Great Leigh Davis' Willy's Gazette (The Jack Books reprint) off Abebooks - The first copy I've ever seen for sale (though maybe there are copies floating around up north). I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

5 comments:

maps said...

Late, certainly, but was that poet laurete of neo-liberalism Leigh Davis great? I'm giving him a few weeks out of a misplaced sense of propriety before I write my obituary.

Ross Brighton said...

I'm speaking in terms of poetry here. He was a great poet. I'm not willing to make personal jedgements, as I never met the guy - suffice to say that I disagree with his politics - but the poetry is fantastic.
Do we through Pound in the trash because of his distasteful politics? I don't mean that rhetoricallyy either - serious question.

Phanero Noemikon said...

Thanks Ross!

Just biding my time
until I get my next mochi snack..

:)

maps said...

I don't think the poetry is any good, and I think the flaws in the poetry are linked intimately to the flaws in the politics - just as the flaws in The Cantos are linked to the flaws in Pound's Cantos. I argued this case a little at:
http://readingthemaps.blogspot.com/2009/02/reasons-for-choosing-smithyman-over.html

I intend to do something longer on the guy when I get the chance.

Maybe we should do 'pro' and 'con' pieces about Davis for SRB and/or RTM?

Ross Brighton said...

Could do - I'm still waiting on the book as the bookseller misplaced it. He's trying to find it, though it may be permanently dissapeared.
Some of it isn't that good, and has dated a bit, but the "Einstein Taught me Physics" sequence is fantastic. Shows a real attention to Steinian (the other Ein-who-is-not-Ein; the Just-Stein) repetition. I think they're truely beautiful.